3.8.11

Doors, and Knobs, and Screws...Oh My!

So I have finally completed two home improvement projects that I have been talking about since we moved into this house, which was a little over three years ago! What were these two little projects you ask? You did ask didn't you? Oh well, you are going to hear about it anyway :) They were spraying painting every door knob in this house and taking off the ugly thing people call a storm door from our front porch. First off I want to give you a few tid bits on spray painting just in case you were feeling the itch like I do so very often. First off make sure you have your surroundings covered! I usually do and then today I guess it was a bit windy and I got some spray paint on my front porch, oops! I guess its nothing that a little graffiti remover cant handle. Second, make sure it isn't in the forecast to rain. I am not just talking about the wet factor but the humidity. It sucks and it takes forever for the paint to dry.

Ok so now that I am done giving some advice (don't always quote me on it) I am ready to talk about my little DIY projects. You have no idea how excited I am about actually getting this stuff done!

So here are the door knobs in all their gold glory...


They definitely were gold! So my next step was to figure out which color. I love everything oil rubbed bronze and was in heaven when I noticed it on the shelf at Home Depot. Yes I actually got a little giddy in the aisle but I could not help my self.

I totally forgot to take a "during" picture of the finished door knobs but there will be a picture at the end with the finish product!

During that drying period I decided that it was the perfect time to get started on the storm door. I never knew how many screws it took to hold up that door! It was ridiculous. When I thought I was done there was another one just smiling down at me! Here is what it looked like with the storm door...


Berk decided to pop in the picture

And let me tell you how heavy that door was. I was totally not expecting that! Ok so after that took for.ev.er I finally patched up the crap ton of holes from the screws and began to paint. For those of you that know me, this was my favorite part. Anything to do with painting makes me smile :).

Finally the storm door was removed (which makes my red door stand out so much more) and all door knobs in the house are a lovely shade of oil rubbed bronze. I didn't take any pictures of the inside door knobs but you should get the gist of the color from the ones on my front door. Well here ya go... 

finished door knobs


finished door. sorry for the night picture!


1 comment: