14.8.11

Behrly Enough Paint!

The deck is finally finished! It only took us about three days to complete it but it felt like forever. This definitely was a project that was long over due. When we bought this house over three years ago the deck was on the top of the to do list.

You could tell that the previous owners had no idea what they were doing and just starting nailing boards together and they some how came up with a deck. But since getting decks torn down and rebuilt costs a fortune we decided to leave it as is and paint it at some point. Well that "some point" ended up being almost four years later! But honestly, now I see why we waited so long to do it.....I didn't know how many crevices this thing had! Once I started painting there was no looking back. Oh and did I mention that when the previous owners were putting this together they in no way measured the distance between each board on the floor of the deck. So that left us with major gaps between each one. So guess what we had to do? Yep that's right! We had to take a itsy bitsy tweeny weeny (haha) paint brush and paint in every crack. I was about to lose my mind after the first two! Here is what the deck looked like before its makeover...

this was after i cleaned it!
It definitely looked ten times better after I cleaned it but no where as good as it was going to look! So once I began painting I new this baby was going to look brand new. My excitement fed my energy and I was painting like a mad woman but then something happened. The worst thing that can happen to a painter, especially when they get on a roll...

i ran out of paint!!!
I was so mad! Look how close I was to the end! It about drove me crazy. Oh and if you look close you can see the cracks between each board. Yea that is what we had to paint because you can clearly see the old board color between each boards. You can see now why I was about to lose my mind!
Ok so after I had to run out to the store to get more paint I finally was finished! It felt so good to get this job done, crossed off the list! It will definitely work until we can build a new deck later on down the road. Here are a few pictures of the finished product!


It looks like a completely different deck! I actually enjoyed going out there and having people over. I used to be so embarrassed when people would come over but now I am so proud of my baby! If anyone is interested we used Behr premium weatherproofing deck paint semi-transparent and the color was sable. The paint was great and it only took one coat! We went for the semi-transparent paint because with old boards regular paint would have taken two or more coats, talk about some money! But we are so excited to finally have this done and we could not be happier.

Oh and remember those letters I made for Kate's room? Well I outlined them and love love love them! It definitely makes them pop off the wall a bit more. Here is a pic of the newly outlined letters...



Now on to finishing Kate's room! Thanks to all who suggested outlining the letters :)

1 comment:

  1. The deck and letters look AMAZING! You are on a roll and will be done with your list in no time! :)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete