13.8.10

Beef Daube Provencal, say what?

Throwing a dinner party soon for family or friends? Well I have a "home run" meal that will be sure to knock the socks off your guests. Beef Daube Provencal, which means beef stew in wine, was such an amazing hit at my dinner table last evening. I have made your typical beef with veggies soup before but I wanted to try something a little bit harder. Well this was definitely a bit harder! I stressed all day in hopes that it would be this amazing masterpiece! I did not want to order pizzas!!

So it all comes down to that first bite, which by the way is never me! That first taste says it all. Did I hit it out of the park or not? Oh boy did I!! I must say that the hardest food critic in my family would be my father and I got the thumbs up approval! I couldn't ask for more :)

Here is the recipe, which is out of the amazing 2008 Cooking Light book:

Ingredients:
2 teaspoon olive oil
12 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pounds of boneless church roast ( cut into 2-inch cubes)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup of red wine ( I used cooking red wine)
2 cups chopped carrot
1 1/2 cups chopping onion
1/2 beef broth (less fat)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
dash of ground cloves
2 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 bay leaf (didn't use it)
egg noodles


Directions:
1. Preheat oven 350 (I used a crock pot)
2. Heat oil in pan and add garlic, cook for 5 minutes
3. Remove garlic from pan and increase heat
4. Add beef to the pan and season with salt and pepper and cook until brown on sides
5. Remove beef from pan and then add the wine to the pan and bring to boil
6. Scrape pan to remove browned bits and then add garlic, beef, salt, pepper, carrot, and next 8 ingredients and bring to boil.
7. If you choose to bake then bake at 300 for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
8. If using crock pot put everything that is in the pan into the slow cooker and cook for however long you want. The longer you cook, the tender the meat. I cooked mine on high for 3 hours and then on low for another 3. The book says that you can cook it on high for 5 hours and it will be complete!

Serve over cooked egg noodles and enjoy!



I hope you guys love this recipe as much as my family and I did. It will definitely be made over and over again in the Hart house! Love you all :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Cooking Light is my absolute favorite 'go to' place for good recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete